Ben Owen Pottery will host a wood firing for a limited group of particpants June 3rd-June 6th. This pre-conference event is being held in conjunction with Wood Fire NC to be held June 8th-11th. Individuals will be able to bring pots to be loaded into the wood kiln and participate in the firing process. It is a great time of learning and fellowship during the firing. There are additional wood kilns being fired in the Seagrove area for the pre-conference and will give participants the opportunity to experience a variety of techniques. To register for our wood firing and others in the area, go to the Wood Fire NC website.
A schedule for our wood firing will be as follows:
• Firing: Saturday, June 3rd to Tuesday, June 6th
• Kiln Description: This is a 85-95 hr firing in our new Anagama kiln.
• Thursday, June 1st last day to accept pots by 3pm and sign up for shifts
• 5 pieces per person
• 12 inches or less, no plates
• 1-3 people per 6 hr shift and all participants for final side stoking shift on June 6th
• Must be cone 10 clay
• It is not required to have pots in the kiln to participate or visit during the firing
The wood kiln will be unloaded on June 11th (2-5pm) after the end of the Wood Fire NC conference.
To kick off the exciting pre-conference festivities, Ben Owen III is hosting a party at his home on Saturday evening, June 3rd. This celebration is a way for the pre-conference artists to meet and share their experiences during an exciting week dedicated to the love and beauty of ceramic woodfiring.